Monday 14 January 2013

Primal Aquatica: The beginning

I've never started a project this way, but I love writing. I love telling stories and would like my pieces to do just that. At around 2 am, while contemplating ideas of what "Ocean" means to me, I fumbled with sea creatures. Being unable to sleep, my thoughts were more random and destructive rather than the 'normal' calm and serene thinking most people have.

I got to thinking of H.P. Lovecraft. More specifically, I thought of Cthulhu. This monolithic character with a following as large as it is. I then thought I'd surround this ocean concept with something linked to Cthulhu. Fictional beings? Mermaids. The Kraken. Unicorns.

Something to link all of these together to create and help me path out the image I'd soon create using mixed media (hopefully). Keeping to heart, what these creatures signify to me: Chaos.

"From early on in literature, imagination has spurred a multitude of enemies for the avid reader. They were unreal bodies fleshed out by the written word of authors who knew and understood what sparked the anxiety of people.
Buccaneers cross the mists into a world forbidden by humanity. Locked away and forgotten until the longest slumber steals them from their livelihood... the horde of ocean scavengers ride the waves to their darkest fears. They happen union Cthulhu. A force penned by H.P. Lovecraft in a short story named, "The Call of Cthulhu". While the battle for survival through these rough waters ensues, eyes carry towards a mystical shore. One pair settles upon large tentacles glistening against the gloomy air as they crash upon blood covered sandbars. As the tentacles retract into the darkened depths, they pull with them their creations. The unicorns birthed from the chaotic splashing of the Kraken are dragged away as the sea creatures meal.
These men have crossed into a nightmare of their brethren. As tentacles lash out to harbour more souls to the seedy depths, glowing eyes of the Kraken target one man as he is ensnared. A look of utter peace on his face as he is cradled by his own lustful undoing. In his eyes, his 'saviour' is a beautiful young woman with skin as soft as silk, hair as red as the blood pumping through his veins eyes as blue and deep as the waters he is downing in. Her lips are like the rubies he and his had plundered from passing ships before being cannoned and sent to this mercurial hell. Behind those fair lips are his end. A scant kiss. A quick bite. He will be no more. The blood that so readily thrummed through him will soon bath the Mermaid in a scarlet cloud of misfortune.
Many will meet an end at the claws of Cthulhu. Some to the wrath of the Kraken, will meet their end much like the unicorns to be drowned. Other poor helpless souls will enjoy a moment of bliss before being devoured."

Though this is the first time I've ever approached a project in this manner, it helps me map out my image in a new way.

No notes. No thumbnails (yet). Just this tiny chunk of story to help me start this portfolio piece. Project Primal Aquatica.

Wish me luck with this new method!! :D

~Panduh

No comments:

Post a Comment