Sunday 14 April 2013

Mr. Peanut is getting old



 I recently became an owner of a new pair of glasses (I had lost a previous pair) and thought it'd be a laugh to let you all see what I look like with them. That's not what this blog is for though! So, to go along with the theme of 'Spectacles', I bring you Mr. Peanut in need of a thicker monocle OR a pair of glass all his own.

Part 1

IMAG1098



1. Thumbnails. This process was relatively simple. Just focusing on one character made it easy to think of a single pose. Since this weeks word was 'Spectacles', I wanted the focus to be on his make-shift glasses; essentially two hand held monocles.


Fullsize Sketch of Mr. Peanut

2. I sketched out the pose I liked best, on another sheet of sketchbook paper then with a sheet of Carbon paper I traced my sketch onto a 9x 12 sheet of peterborough board. 


IMAG1051

3. After the sketching, I took to my gouache paints and 'blocked' out his body.


IMAG1052

4b. After the paint dried, I retraced his monocles, mouth, and cane.


Stage 4: To define

5. After painting the rest of his body, I used fine liners to outline the details

 Part 2: Digital 

1backgroundless layer

6. I used quick selection and command + J to create a new layer with the selection.

2. brightness+contrast

7. Clicking on the image in the layers tab, I selected Mr. Peanut and brightened the entire selection.

3. bg_gaussianblur

8. After introducing a background of peanuts, I used the Gaussian Blur filter to 'unfocus' the image.

4. dropshadow

9. I then add a drop shadow overtop to allow a bit of depth.


Final

Blog 4

Mr. Peanut has gotten very old and is in need of new glasses. Just to give you a taste of what he sees even with his two monocles, things are still quite blurry.

I hope you had a laugh or at least a smile at this one. My next blog will be the final in my first series of Conceptually yours. 

'Untamed'  is your clue! Let your imaginations run rampant with ideas!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment